Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good 1st Half, Poor 2nd... Still A Win

Newell's Old Boys won the first half, then lost the second to Unión de Santa Fe... but when you win your half 3-0, and only lose the other 0-1? In the standings it still counts as a win for La Lepra and the three points earn puts them on top of the table all alone. Granted, Boca Jrs are behind only by a win, and have yet to play their match this weekend. That will take place tomorrow as they host Vélez Sarsfield, who now trail Newell's by five points. (Here is to hoping for a draw.) Newell's goals came from Víctor Figueroa (5'), Santiago Vergini (38'), and Maximiliano Urruti (41'). Former Newell's player Matías Donnet scored the lone goal for Unión (57'). Juan Pablo Avendaño received a red card (87') for the visitors... somehow I did not see it (must have been distracted, as I also was keeping a half eye on a couple of other matches.) Now regular reader will notice that I have missed a few games... well, I have not actually missed them, I just did not get around to writing about them. I could blame my current health problems have been keeping me from writing as much as I would like, but truth is, while that is part of what is keeping me from posting, it is also a matter of having too many interests, not enough time. So has the schedule for the matches from the past few weeks. That said, I really need a nap, but have a bunch of other things I need to get to. Sigh. Hopefully I can get my health back to where it needs to be in order to post more often than I have... Up next are fellow title contenders Tigre (currently four points behind Newell's, but, like Boca, have yet to play this weekend... as they face Colón de Santa Fe in El Cementerio de los Elefantes makes me confident that they will remain four points behind us.

No comments: