Tuesday, June 23, 2009

International House Of Paraguayan Strikers?

No. No, no, no... please tell me this is just a rumor. A joke. A very bad joke at that.

I just came across a report that Newell's are chasing yet another Paraguayan forward. The thought is that we're not going to be able to retain Leandro Armani, who is on loan from Tiro Federal... but I just don't see the need for A) the need for another striker, and B) another Paraguayan striker at that.

If it were up to me we'd be looking to get rid of Paraguayan's Salcedo and Da Silva. Instead I'm seeing a report that Jorge Daniel Achucarro may be joining Da Silva in Rosario from his current team in Mexico, Atlas, while Salcedo may be on his way back to River Plate.

OK, sure, if Armani goes, and we get rid of Salcedo and Da Silva, it appears that we're very thin up top. Damián Steinert would be the only striker left from the current squad. But that's deceptive, in my opinion.

I'd still like to see Steinert get some real playing time to prove himself one way or the other. Diego Torres had a wonderful Apertura, but has been placed in the reserve team before the Clausura started. Both Formica and Sperdutti are capable of playing up front.

Leo Torres proved that he could play in midfield during the Apertura, but now only gets time on the field off the bench. Pablo Pérez, if given playing time, could still prove a useful player in midfield. Moving Formica and/or Sperdutti to the front line would not create a hole in midfield that couldn't be filled.

Please, someone wake me from this nightmare!

No comments: