Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bye, Bye Central, Hello All Boys

I'm not going to lie, I only saw about 30 minutes of All Boys 3-0 victory over Rosario Central. Long story short, I was in the hospital from about 6pm on Friday until around 4pm Saturday, and I'm tired, not feeling well, and nothing has been resolved. But that's not what this blog is about, so...

As I'm not feeling well, I'll keep this short and sweet, or try anyway... Newell's are now the only team in the Primera A, generally known as just the Primera. Rosario Central, having lost their home/away play off (by a total score of 4-1 ( their away match ended in a 1-1 draw,) say goodbye to the Primera. Central will have a crosstown rival to face as they will be joining Tiro Federal in the National B (commonly just known as the B.) Newell's however, will have no Clasico Rosarino to play next season.

As Central descend to the National B, All Boys will join the Primera A. I don't think their stay will last long. They had only gained promotion to the B back in 2008, and, unless their bank account is such that they can strengthen their team, I expect them to be the whipping boys for the 2010-2011 season. While they did beat Central 3-0 in an away game, Central, from what little I saw of the game, out played them in every aspect but one... finishing off their chances. In fact, Central took 12 shots, but could only manage to put 4 on target, while All Boys only managed to take 8 shots, but put 7 on target, and, of course, 3 into the back of the net.



Meanwhile, in the other relegation/promotion play off match, Gimnasia LP secured their survival with an impressive 3-1 home win over Atletico Rafaela. Gimnasia had lost the away leg 1-0, so the final total score is Gimnasia 3 Atletico Rafaela 2.

And I do need to make one correction to a mistake I made in my preview of these play offs. If either of the home/away series would have ended with the combined scores level, the team from the Primera would has kept their place.

OK, not as short and sweet as I probably should have kept it to, but it did take me far longer to get this thing put together than it normally would...

No comments: