Saturday, December 20, 2008

Back To The Title Situation

With all that's been happening with the election at Newell's, and the ongoing aftermath there of, I don't believe I've mentioned one word on the end of the Apertura... or, I suppose I should say, the continuation of the Apertura.

San Lorenzo, Tigre, and Boca Jrs all managed wins in their final games, leaving all three with 39 points. Now every where else in the world they'd leave it at that, and decide the winner based on goal difference, head to head games played, or some other method to break the deadlock. Not so in Argentina. Instead the three teams will play a set of games to determine the Champion.

San Lorenzo and Tigre already played on Wednesday, San Lorenzo winning 2-1. Today they are scheduled to play Boca, and if El Ciclon beat Boca, there will be no need for Boca to play Tigre, scheduled for Tuesday.

I'd love to have something more to say on the matter, but really, I just don't have it in me. I could go on a bit more about the situation at Newell's but best I leave that until there's some good news. Instead, I'll go into something else that I'm not all that happy about.

No, I did not go to the USA vs China women's soccer friendly this past Wednesday, but I did see that the Detroit News on Thursday had an article on the game. Well, sort of. They mentioned the score, 1-0 USA. They mentioned the goal scorer, Heather O'Reilly, and mentioned that Lindsay Tarpley set it up. There's mention that Kate Markgraf (Bloomfield Hills) and Lindsay Tarpley (Kalamazoo) are local talents. But no discription of any the play.

For the amount of print they gave Joanne C. Gerstner for the piece she spent far too much time talking about the crowd, how wonderful it was that 11,933 fans showed up for the game. Yes, that's important, but really wasn't due anymore space than that given to the goal that was scored. Even the qoutes from the players she got were about the fans, not the game.

I don't know, maybe it's the Ford Field effect. After all, it's the home of the 0-14 Detroit Lions. The most exciting thing that one can write about one of their home games is that there are still a few fans showing up to their games.

1 comment:

David Phillips said...

This doesn't warrant a full post... Boca beat San Lorenzo 3-1, so the game on Tuesday between Los Xeneises and Los Matadores is on.

Going into that game, Boca will only need a win or draw to take the title. Should Tigre win, well then, we're to whatever tie breaking system the AFA has decided on.